Film Music History CFO
Profile, extension and depth: Community
Number of course weeks
One 75-minute lesson per week
Total contact hours
Form / content / level
Admitted to the Second year of the bachelor.
Developing a broad understanding and insight of the history of Film Music as well as to be able to depict the developing stages of Film Music in a correct chronological order.
Relation to other modules
History of Classical and Jazz & Pop Music.
- The Compilation score and the Temp Track
- The silent movie and its musical accompaniment
- How does music works in a movie ?
- Film Music as part of the cinema experience (a psychological approach)
- The Power of Film Music
- The pleasure of hearing and listening to Film Music
- The relation between Film Music and Concert Music
- The History of Film Music I: the period 1895 to 1927
- The History of Film Music II: the period 1927 to 1960
- The History of Film Music III: the period 1960 to nowadays
- New musical languages found their way towards Hollywood
- The use of unconventional instruments and tone colors in Film Music
- The film composer’s method of working
- The history of Electronic Music
- A closer look at famous film composers (Bernard Herrmann to John Williams)
Mode(s) of instruction
Virtual classroom video conference with audio where max four students in four different locations and one instructor in another location, communicate by seeing each other, talking and listening to each other equally. The Instructor has access to a whiteboard, application sharing, desktop sharing and document sharing and may hand this privileges to any participants of the conference.
Apart from the video conference a high quality stereo audio stream is open at the same time via source connect. That way students and instructor can listen to music from any source of the group and talk about it simultaneously. Individual lessons where deemed necessary by the instructor.
Reader and a recommended list of suitable literature dealing with Film Music.
Examination and assessment
Mode(s) of assessment
Test at the end of the module.
The student should have mastered the elements described under Aims.
The student has completed this module if he/she is awarded a minimum grade of 5.5.
The exam is summative and co-designed by all of the instructors and therefore identical in contents and grading for all students. The oral part of the final exam is assessed by at least two instructors.
The audition will only be valid if carried out without interruption. The chairman decides wether or not the audition is carried out validly.
The student has developed a broad understanding of the History of Film Music in all its facets and has come acquainted to some of the more experienced film composers.