Music History SF 2 (online)
Profile, extension and depth: Community
Students Composition for Film & Theater year 3 plus other interested students
Number of course weeks
One 75-minute lesson per week
Total contact hours
Form / content / level
Admitted to the Second year of the bachelor.
Developing a broad understanding and insight of the history of Film Music as well as to be able to depict the developing stages of Film Music in a correct chronological order.
Relation to other modules
History of Classical and Jazz & Pop Music.
- The Compilation score and the Temp Track
- The silent movie and its musical accompaniment
- How does music works in a movie ?
- Film Music as part of the cinema experience (a psychological approach)
- The Power of Film Music
- The pleasure of hearing and listening to Film Music
- The relation between Film Music and Concert Music
- The History of Film Music I: the period 1895 to 1927
- The History of Film Music II: the period 1927 to 1960
- The History of Film Music III: the period 1960 to nowadays
- New musical languages found their way towards Hollywood
- The use of unconventional instruments and tone colors in Film Music
- The film composer’s method of working
- The history of Electronic Music
- A closer look at famous film composers (Bernard Herrmann to John Williams)
Mode(s) of instruction
Frontal collective lessons with examples of many pictures and an accompanying reader.
Reader and a recommended list of suitable literature dealing with Film Music.
Examination and assessment
Mode(s) of assessment
Test at the end of the module.
The student should have mastered the elements described under Aims.
The student has completed this module if he/she is awarded a minimum grade of 5.5.
The student has developed a broad understanding of the History of Film Music in all its facets and has come acquainted to some of the more experienced film composers.