Music History Classical Music
All students of the same study year.
Number of course weeks
One 60-minute lesson per week
Total contact hours
Form / content / level
Admitted to the main subject course.
Developing a broad understanding of classical music as well as the analytic skill to identify music based on its instrumentation.
Relation to other modules
Related to the main subject course (both involve musical analysis).
- Middle Ages (600-1400)
- Stylistic change 1: monophonic to polyphonic (900)
- Stylistic change 2: Ars Nova (1320)
- Renaissance (1400-1600)
- Stylistic change 3: New Sweetness (1430)
- Baroque (1600-1750)
- Stylistic change 4: Monody (1600)
- Stylistic change 5: Instrumental Music (1600)
- Classical Music (1750-1815)
- Stylistic change 6: Galant to Gelehrt (1740)
- Modern Times (1908)
- Stylistic change 7: Atonality (1908)
Mode(s) of instruction
Frontal, workshops, tutorial
Material & Tools
General Readers, www.artezmusictools.nl/muziekgeschiedenis_new, www.bestmusicteacher.com, handouts, audio, images
Examination and assessment
Mode(s) of assessment
1 assessment at the end of the module
The student should have mastered the elements described under Aims.
The student has completed this module if he is awarded a minimum grade of 5.5.
In this module the student develops a broad understanding of classical music as well as the analytic skill to identify music based on its instrumentation.